Martin J. Walker wrote:

> Odd, Sevanthi, that you mention Poetry Nation, the forerunner of PN Review,
> as reactionary (I can't say, as I started reading it later), since nowadays
> it with its associated publishing company Carcanet promotes such writers as
> John Peck, duly praised by Frederick  in one of the following mails
> (unfortunately I haven't read _Argura_, only the other 2 vols.) and hardly
> what one would call a "formalist".
> I forgot to mention any poetry apart from Zagajewski & the anthology ~ I'm
> reading & rereading the mysterious poems in Harriet Zinnes: _Plunge_
> and still trying to make out why I love reading Robert Kelly's work most,
> together with Allen Curnow & Thom Gunn, of living poets, by rereading _The
> Time of Voice_.
> Martin

I meant earlier, when Martin first mentioned him, to add my
recommendation re Zagajewski - less austere than Milosz, but still with
that nobility one finds in Milosz, Z. Herbert, and other E. Europeans -
the ability to speak clearly of human suffering, not just of one's own.
I ended a reading with Z's Holocaust poem - I don't have it in front of
me; it's the one that ends "We have nowhere to go" - at the Jewish
Community Center here some years ago, and the response was one of those
silences that are infinitely beyond applause.

As for Kelly -  I always cite his work when people doubt whether one can
write a lot (I write a lot) and maintain a high average. - Another, tho
not as prolific, is Willis Barnstone, whose Algebra of Night, selected
poems 1948-1998, Sheep Meadow Press, is a great treat.  He translated
Borges and Borges liked him and his poetry.

Off poetry reading - if you want something deeply scary, try Dreamer of
the Day by Kevin Coogan.  Biography of F. P. Yockey, an American leader
and theoretician of post-WW2 international fascism.  Caught and suicided
1960, after years on run.  His influence lingers.

And Jad Adams' Madder Music, Stronger Wine, bio of Ernest Dowson - sad
and memorable.