Doug wrote:
<<& certainly those big ones in the Tate permanent collection are among my
great meditation sites...>>

Doug, for me too. It's been a long time since I've sat in that room, but the
memory of those canvases remains vivid. Great peace there, perhaps
paradoxically, give R's tormented life.

Viz. Annie writes: <<I found it interesting that he went more and more
minimal over time; reducing form to washes of colour and then finally
reducing the colour to greys. It seems to me that he suicided at that point
cos there was no where else for him to go conceptually.>>

But this seems not only reductive to me, but to confuse cause & effect. It
seems, too, sentimental to claim--& how would one know?--that an artist
committed suicide because he couldn't think of any new directions. Such a
claim devalues both art & suicide. If I had to choose, I would prefer to see
the paintings as a record of some much larger despair. But in fact that also
seems overly reductive. We have the paintings.

jd
======================
Joseph Duemer
School of Liberal Arts, 5750