Annie wrote:

> Anyways, to cut myself off before I write anymore, what is your take on
> modern writers and femininity, and can men write like a women. Will each
> gender forever write for their own sex? And what poets or poems have a true
> feminine quality to it?

Hi Annie

I'm currently about half way through "A Woman's Voice", by
Jenny Digby,
Uni of Qld Press, 1996 ISBN 0 7022 2732 3

Its a series of interviews with various Australian women
poets and much of what you are raising here is discussed.
I've found it very stimulating.

Its been my observation, comparing art by men and art by
women, that there is a male and a female aesthetic that must
in some way be related to physical difference and means of
perception, thought etc. (exactly how is the thesis I have
yet to write) Very generally speaking, males prefer
blues/greys/neutrals and square gridded forms; females
pinks, oranges, violets and rounded forms. You can test this
at your local art gallery. It shows up well in abstract art.
Compare Frankethaler and O'Keefe with their male
counterparts for eg. The better artists are the ones who go
beyond this difference, and the women who apply a male
aesthetic to their work are the ones who gain better
recognition.

I've also noted that the prevaling aesthetic is a masculine
one, for obvious reasons. With some complications wrt the
gay component of our tastemakers.

I first picked up on this at art school when I noticed that
words such as pretty, decorative, delicate etc were used as
derogatory terms, and have been researching on it since.

Josephine