on 7/27/01 10:05 PM, Joseph Duemer at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I've been away. Just want to say that I inadvertently sent David B the
> Haptime virus ( which I believe came from one of my Asian correspondents) &
> let Candice know what had happened so she could notify the list. In my
> reading, she never intimated that KJ had sent the virus, but only noted that
> members ought to beware. What's that old Buffalo Springfield line? "Paranoia
> runs deep . . . "

    Deep and wide, Joe, and all the moreso when a group feels threatened as
a group and can't tell where the threat is coming from, within or without.
You apparently missed--or were given a miss by--Sircam, which afflicted some
on this list. It took a really pernicious turn on BRIT-PO, though, getting
into some listee address books and doing its thing with those e-addresses.
It could have set off a real panic of mutual suspicion and accusation, but
didn't--to everyone's credit.

Good to have you back! (Is it true you actually got paid for a poetry
reading? If not, may I start that rumor on your behalf?)

Candice