Well one doesn't want to be bitchy about Rupert, what he does with Stride
deserves a plaudit, but I've never taken to either his own poems or what
seems to be his particular taste. As for using 'haibun' or any other kind of
import it always makes me think of those Victorians who were so deft at
Frenchified forms, like Alfred Austin for instance, the result comes out as
a seeming irrelevance

One certainly can think of examples where imposed imported forms work, like
Empson, but they're the exceptions, I reckon. .

I suspect your hunch about thinking in terms of poetry parts is on the lines
of what happens in the mind-events of those who get married to discrete
forms, however I also think your 'grip and release' phrase is getting very
close to the essence of the real thing, it's very much about 'timing' plus a
complete material awareness, I don't think there are proscriptions or
prescriptions for it, only examples, if that makes sense.

Quite proud in not being normal myself here, btw, it's a far more
interesting way to be, despite the Chinese curses.

Best

Dave