Well, now wait a minute, this is trickier syntactically than I thought
because of the special English usage of "to tie (up)" (boats) vs. "to
un/tie" (string--by which you mean rope, yes?). I love the delicacy of
"string," though, and the tenuous delicacy it adds to the quasi-willow plate
effect of the whole design. You could keep "string" for its figurative
value, though, if you used the more idiomatic "unmoored" in place of
"untied" (keeping the semi--in that case). Would that work?

on 7/19/01 3:20 PM, ANASTASIOS KOZAITIS at [log in to unmask]