On Wednesday, July 11, 2001, at 03:30 PM, sevanthi ragunathan wrote: 0000,0000,DEB7 But I'd ask, to what extent is having memorized something an index of its worth or the extent of it's been appreciated? Sure, poems in fixed forms are easier to remember than poems in open forms. For that matter, tv ad jingles are more memorable (in a literal sense) than poems, and I have plenty of poems I loathe in my head and plenty of poems I love not memorized. I don't know that memorization is the right index... by that measure, limericks are probably the favorite poems of all! memorability is certainly not the only measure, nor the most important one. But to have been moved by something sufficiently to have tkaen the trouble to memorize it surely means something 0000,0000,DEB7 I'd also ask who the best selling poets of recent times have been. My guess would be Allen Ginsberg and Maya Angelou. I'm actually fascinated by which poets people who don't read much poetry have on their shelves, and I'd say the results are: Allen Ginsberg, Adrienne Rich, Nikki Giovanni, Audre Lorde, Maya Angelou, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Sylvia Plath. Now, I can't bear any of them, for the most part, but these are the poets I see ordinary people actually reading (outside of school). I'd have to ask, "How far out of school?" They're certainly read more by English majors and PoliSci majors on the Left and the various kinds of Cultural Studies majors. Such people, other than poets, are the ones who are most likely to read poetry at all, and I would not be surprised to find these are the "best-selling" poets. Get a little farther from the schools and, at least in my experience, it's very different. When you talk about people "buying" poetry, I have no doubt that more people bought (in whatever sense) Allen Ginsberg than bought Anthony Hecht, though my own tastes are Hecht-ward. And certainly, I've seen a marked preference for contemporary poetry over pre-20th century poetry. Actually, I prefer Ginsberg to Hecht, though I don't think either of them anything special. Do you think either of them will be in print 100 years from now?. 0000,0000,DEB7 So, I'm not sure I buy your argument, even though I as a reader (I glance at my bookshelves), have an incredible bias towards poets who use form. Frankly, I'd take James Lasdun over Levertov, and Marilyn Hacker over pretty much everyone alive, but my sphere of influence is negligible. : ) Don't know Lasdun -- can you point me to a good collection? Best, Michael