Kent, I think we have different ideas about what this listserv should be. I tend
to think of it as a pub where my friends & acquaintances (& a few disreputable
weirdos) hang out; you seem to think of it as a debating society. (This is of
course not the only way of thinking about Poetryetc & others here may have very
different ideas.) That said, my sense that Lind is not serious is exactly to the
point. I do not have "cold feet"--I just don't want to be bothered with him.
Nevertheless, I have not suggested that he & thee should not engage in polemical
fisticuffs, if that's what you want, though if you start to bust the place up,
I'll ask that you "take it outside." I do think it's a little self-righteous,
though, to dress up what amounts to a brawl as an edifying cultural exchange
suitable for "wider publication."

kent johnson wrote:

> um, Joe, whether or not you or Candice believe Lind qualifies as a "serious"
> thinker is really beside the point-- the issue is that he is *heard by many
> and taken quite seriously by many*. That is the primary reason for
> attempting to engage him and those in his orbit: not to sway him and the New
> Criterion fellow-believers (which is highly unlikely, anyway) but because
> forthright debate is a way of reaching others who *may* be willing to think
> and consider the bigger issues with seriousness. This is why people publicly
> debate. And this is why it would be important, as well, to keep open the
> possibility of pursuing such a discussion, as I suggested earlier, into
> wider publication.
>
> But it really seems silly to have to say any of this. I thought Lind would
> be the most likely one to get "cold feet" first!
>
> Anyway, I haven't heard anything back yet, so maybe best to just sit back
> and wait. If he doesn't respond, I'll publish my letter to him for the
> record, with a response to his article by me or someone else.
>
> Kent

Joseph Duemer
School of Liberal Arts, box 5750
Clarkson University