> >We should remember that
> >by the standards of the time a theater ranked in respectability
> >somewhere between a tavern and a whorehouse.
>
> praise the lord.
> what has changed?

Quite a lot, actually, Komninos. I dunno how things are in Queensland but
here in Leicester whorehouses, unless catering for the executive trade, and
office parties, when they become 'massage parlours',  tend also to be places
where crack cocaine and guns reside, which latter I particularly noticed the
other year when a bloke was gunned down round the corner in front of the
local knocking-shop, while 'taverns' - my, that word - if designated such
are likely to be items in the portfolios of corporate catering entities of
the Grand Met style, staffed by uniformed minimum-wage earners, who must key
in their identities to the till for each transaction, no perks of the job
there, in an atmosphere of antiseptic blandness reminiscent of the better
kind of public convenience, the kind that you have to book in advance to
attend. They are even known to have no-smoking areas. Aaargh! Some scruffy,
scummy, tornseat ill-mannered badly lit and heated pubs do survive, serving
from a damp cellar distinctive dark brews that the cellarman has probably
been sick in overnight, but these I am afraid are an endangered species,
unsupported by protesters.
Whereas the theatres tend to be very proper, well-tended places, for which
people dress as if weddings, slightly marred by the feeling that if you were
to ask for a 'Meat Pie' you might be torn limb from limb at the least, or
sent to live in Northampton which is worst.
After going to a play, you often feel as if you have been Very Good and gone
to church on a Sunday morning after a long absence.

david bircumshaw