I worked in factories. And car washes. And restaurants. I know personally the
soul-killing nature of industrial work & work in the low-paid "service
industry." I said nothing about the character or intelligence of either factory
workers or college professors in my post, so I can only assume you are trying
to be provocative.

kent johnson wrote:

> Joseph Duemer said that if it hadn't been for a couple of his high school
> teachers that he'd no doubt be "working in a factory"...
>
> I would just like to say, in case Joseph meant that he would have been a
> lesser person of some kind if he had ended up a factory worker, that a good
> number of the "factory workers" I've worked with beat a good number of
> college professors in measures of intelligence, ethics, and common sense,
> for example, by a long shot. And some of these "factory workers" even work,
> oh, 50-60 hours a week and take pride in their labor. Imagine!
>
> Anyway, probably Joseph meant something harmless-- like if he'd ended up in
> a factory he wouldn't have his summers off, a feeling of petit-bourgeois
> gratitude I certainly couldn't blame him for, as I sit here sipping my pina
> colada at 10:45 in the morning.
>
> Kent

Joseph Duemer
School of Liberal Arts, box 5750