About some computer things:

void main() is how one might declare the main function of a computer
programme written in the language C (or C++). Functions generally receive a
list of parameters, and return a single value, for instance:

int square(int a) { return a * a; }

("int" is short for "integer"). This means: the function "square" takes an
integer as a parameter (the "int" between the brackets), and returns an
integer as its result (the "int" at the start of the declaration). The bit
between the curvy braces, "{" and "}", says that the value returned is the
value of the expression "a * a", or "a" squared.

In the declaration "void main()", "void" means that no value is returned by
the function "main"; and the empty brackets mean that no parameters are
passed to it. You can see this as a sort of pithy encapsulation of nihilism:
the universe accepts no parameters, and returns no ultimate value (think of
Douglas Adams' running joke about the earth being a giant computer intended
to calculate the ultimate Question to which the ultimate Answer, 42, is the
answer).

I remember Alan Sokal being especially disparaging about the inability of
the editors of Social Text to distinguish between a variable and a constant
(such as c, the speed of light). Well, in C(++) you can declare variables as
constant. So there. Even the nihilist universe defined within void main()
{...} can have constants in it. They just have to be declared right.

I believe I was referring to my own 14-month old son as "our gold-shipment
of beloved argument" - but have it your way, too. Incidentally, and for
reasons I don't quite understand, while a function *takes* parameters, the
entity calling the function *supplies* arguments. I suppose the arguments
are the content that fill the form given by the parameters (which are all of
rigidly defined "types"). The exact semantics are probably defined
somewhere.

I regret that I resorted to Babelfish, the translatron, in the first
instance because I don't speak Italian. It's a lot of fun, though (and also
of course takes its name from another conceit of Douglas Adams'...)

- Dom