Yesterday morning at 5.30ish we got up and went to do some
whale watching. There had been reported sightings during the
week and its whale season for the next two weeks. Anyhow,
thoroughly inspired by a magnificent sight I wrote a poem
today - first draft. Be gentle, but comments/constructive
criticisms please.

Cetacean Symphony

Winter's dawn light, first Sunday aft of midwinter's night.
We take a look from Captain Cook Lookout, First Point,
Copacabana. An east coast sea, greyed slick and steely, tiny
boats dotting the path of the sun's shimmering clear light,
while Sydney's centre points the far distant southern
smogged sky.

First sighted, a distant spray, a blow, a flash of sunlight
on a wet back breaching the waves. "There!" a cry,
binoculars  swing to follow a pointed arm. "Got it!" the
reply.
The lookout fills as morning progresses from hushed polite
awed whispers, to rude noisy parents whose children whine.

Gross consumers, un-green, the first to denounce the
'ferals' who
activate for the environment, cluster expectantly at the
rails,
straining to see saved whales. Their interest is aroused,
but not
from concerned thoughtfulness, rather the cheap thrill, the
free ride.
No sense of the tide's subtleties. Media driven to see the
sea's cets.

Close in, huge humped backs dive, rise again in paired
synchrony,
barely a splash to mark their progress beneath the point.
A measured interval, a guessed distance, they surface in
close proximity to a small boat fishing nearby. A dorsal
fin,
then tail; a tall fisher's tale to tell of the one that got
away.

Straight out, another pair performs. The water breached,
a nose, a torso rises towering through the air, poises and
drops,
flops soundlessly,  showering whale whacked water wide;
moments later, flukes flail and slide below. A blow portends
the next; a belly rolls, flippers wave greeting, grey and
white.

Sun higher now, the wind's white horses speckle the ocean's
greys
confusing searching eyes which seek the oily slick
disturbance
that marks the whale's whereabouts. As whales and time pass,
we ponder whalebone, soap, oil, Melville, the whale song's
airy silence, wombed dolphins and the porpoise's purpose.

J Severn June 2001

Notes: First Point was named by Captain Cook when he dropped
by, & Sydney's most prominent skyline feature is the
Centrepoint tower. Also, Websters tells me 'dolphin' comes
from the root gwelbh meaning womb, referring to its shape.

thanks
Josephine