Robin Hamilton wrote:

> > It brings to mind one of my all time favourite sci fi short
> > stories. Azimov's "Nightfall" There was a re-write to
> > novella length, but it was nowhere near as good as the
> > original.
> >
> > josephine
>
> What can they know of darkness, who never darkness knew?
>
> I have problems with Azimov, Josephine -- his robots are too human and his
> humans are too robotic.

No robots in this one, check it out. Recently re-read the
robot stories though. Was appalled at the racism.
Interesting how a re-read  often reveals the mind set of the
time, isnt it? The whole culture described was one where
robots were effectively a slave culture, even down to
calling them 'boy', lots of emancipation issues.

Enjoying the sci fi thread, big fan, been reading it for
thirty odd years. Just finished 'Door number three' by
Patrick O'Leary. A truly postmodern text and a good read.
I've also been enjoying David Brin's works, one book per sci
fi sub-genre, it seems to me. Earth was good, if that was
the title? The Postman borrowed heavily from Lucifer's
Hammer, (Niven and Pournelle) too horrified at the shorts to
even contemplate seeing the Kevin Costner interpretation.
And look at what Travolta did to Battlefied Earth! His Terl
wasnt too bad, but forget about the rest of the book, they
did!

And why do Klingons always look like bad seventies rock
stars?

Watched the new Mars film this weekend "red planet?' If you
ignore the stupid robot, the silly plot, the inconsistencies
and the huge stretches of scientific credability, it wasnt
too bad for a hollywood scifi, compared to what is usually
served up. I did like the way they reproduced the mars
landing site, but jump starting a fifty year old russian
probe and riding it unprotected through the atmosphere in a
space suit with no oxygen and actually matching orbit with
the mother ship ... I mean really!!!!!

Josephine