I'm still thinking about how the discussion of prose / poetry led to the
discussion of this particular form of verse (or its absence), first in
the work of a particular Mexican poet & then more broadly. (Mark, thanks
for transmitting Kozer's response.) What I took from that discussion was
that the difference is contingent on practice, which is to say it is
functional, though that contingency operates (I think) with knowledge of
previous practice, er, tradition. But I also appreciate the dialectic
set in motion by Erminia with her references to etymology & the
above). Is tradition, so-called, really just a kind of etymology?

 jd
Joseph Duemer
School of Liberal Arts-5750
Clarkson University