As I've never seen Hill read before, I have no authority from my own
experience to declare that he has "mellowed", or is more "laid back" than he
used to be. Nevertheless, from others' accounts of a burly, clenched figure
declaiming through gritted teeth, I had come to imagine that hearing him
read might be somewhat like enduring an assault, or perhaps a deserved
chastisement (run with it, Erminia).

The sober clowning that the "late" Hill goes in for is something else.
Between poems he stood and drank slowly a glass of water with all the absurd
dignity of a music hall pro. He was at his funniest apologising for the
lameness of his own jokes, or for the lameness of the explanations he was
sometimes kind enough to provide for them. These included limp gags about
impotence (in one of the sections of his newest poem, "The Orchards of
Zion", yet unpublished) and repeated reassurances that there were only
"another twenty-five or so of these things" to get through. At other times
he was acheingly terse: explaining that "the two Bonhoeffers, von Moltke,
von Haeften" were members of the _Wiederstand_, the German - Christian -
resistance to Hitler, he added simply that "they all died".

He read "the lady Di sections" from _Speech! Speech!_, and was at pains to
point out that they were written in a spirit of admiration rather than
satire. I think that a particular virtue of one or two of those poems is
that they make it possible for me to understand how he can possibly feel
that way. He opposed hype and sentiment not with ridicule but with genuine
praise, praise tinged with sadness and anger. I think it worked.

The new poem consists of seventy-two sections of twenty-four lines, arranged
rather like Miltonic canzoni (Hill said; or at least I think that's what he
said). It contains - I can only be vague here - rather a lot of descriptions
of landscape and weather. Very beautiful descriptions, it must be said. I
thought they reprised the mood and mode of some of the poems from _Canaan_
which combined an awe-struck naturalism with an ironic metaphysics. I look
forward to seeing them in print.

- Dom