Joanne,

In a poetry class I attended a few years ago we
gave up trying to define poetry other than that it
is a piece of writing in which the lines end
before they have to.
Though there would be exceptions to this
definition as well. Such as the "prose poem"

I expect a prose poem to be a very short piece of
prose which invites a large amount of interest,
pleasurable re-reading with further surprises. And
there are large prose works that do that as well,
and short ones that don't (or don't seem to - but
with a short piece re-reading is not very
arduous). So this is not a definition.

Apart from the interest within these poems,
often the ones that stick in my mind have a viral
quality which makes the prose somewhat
hallucinatory, and it infects the way I think
about "ordinary" prose. Here's one by Russell
Edson (Verse Vol 13 No 1):

The Baby Pianos

     A piano had made a huge manure. Its handler
hoped the lady of the house wouldn't notice.
     But the lady of the house said, what is that
huge darkness?
     The piano's just had a baby, said the
handler.
     Meanwhile the piano had dropped another huge
manure.
     What's that? cried the lady of the house,
surely not another baby?
     Twins, said the handler.
     They look more like cannon balls than baby
pianos, said the lady of the house.
     The piano dropped another huge manure.

     Triplets, smiled the handler ...

And on the next page in an ad for _The Prose Poem_
(a journal "devoted to that which is neither
poetry nor prose, but both") is this is by Charles
Simic:

The Church of Insomnia

     The huge congregation is in the dark. The
altar is a bed with a canopy. The minister reads
by candlelight the works of Jonathan Edwards. If
you listen hard, you'll hear pages being turned,
the ash of his cigarette falling into the abyss.
     The cat with the mouse in its mouth is simply
passing through.

Regards
Nicholas Sergeant