on 16/1/01 8:36 AM, Matthew Francis at [log in to unmask]
wrote:

> I am also a great admirer of John Clute and John Grant's Encyclopedia of
> Fantasy.

I have a browse in The Penguin Encyclopedia of Horror and the Supernatural
(Ed Jack Sullivan) for the same reason. Some of the opinions I don't
altogether trust either - but there's a multitude of contributors such as
Tom Disch, Leslie Fiedler, Ramsay Campbell, Whitley Strieber - and it covers
everything from poetry to film to music with entries on Shelley, Bartok,
Baudelaire and Piranesi as well as the usual suspects. It's a bit old now,
my edition is 1986, so I don't know if you can still get it.

Cheers,
Jill
Jill Jones
50 Ruby Street