Chris,

you mentioned that 'gender...... even species isn't really that important'.

Okay.

  Now, while I agree with your view in the wider sense, I feel obligated
here to make a plea on behalf of the 'species-specific orientation' which
has been gaining clout ( albeit slowly) since about 1972 (remember the Art
School Riots of that year in Oslo?)  With this in mind, let me direct you
all to a series of esoteric, but highly readable titles published by the
Root Press (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) available by mail order only.  These
publications are real gems. Pithy and honest, they offer readers a valid
alternative to the species-diversity which is currently strangling Western
writing and philosophy.

May I recommend the following :

'My Love, My Sheep', by Colin Auckland - a touching series of poems by a
former champion merino ram.
'Was It Only Yesterday?', by Kelpie's Boy - a remarkable, at times tragic
expose of the harsh realites of unrequited love from the gelding's point of
view.
'Lassie Come Homophobic', - a no-holds-barred anthology of dog poems and
prose from 1948-1999 in Connecticut;
and one of my favourites - '
'The Cutting Edge', by 'Randy' (a pseudonym).  Hitherto unreleased story of
James Herriot and his controversial 'Reconciliation Therapy' for neutered
dogs, cats and other small animals.

Regards,
Nichola
(Melbourne)