Allison, Tony,

Thank you both. I zipped over to the Duke University Press web site and
found:

Gunslinger
Edward Dorn
223 pages ( 1989)
ISBN 0-8223-0964-5 Cloth - $49.95
ISBN 0-8223-0932-7 Paperback - $18.95

"Dorn's high-spirited, crazy-quilt, complex anti-epic is a masterful
critique of late twentieth-century capitalism and is one of the great comic
poems of American literature. Dorn is one of the few political poets in
America; this fantasy about a demigod cowboy, a saloon madam, and a talking
horse named Claude Levi-Strauss, who travel the Southwest in search of
Howard Hughes, has become a minor classic."

"Dorn cleverly mixes the jargon of junkies, Westerners, structuralists, and
scientists to reflect the jumble of American speech. He intentionally
frustrates the reader: syntax is ambiguous, punctuation is sparse, and puns,
homonyms, and nonsense words become an integral part of conversation. Donald
Wesling has declared that such frustration is 'one of the pleasures of the
poem when you finally discover the mechanism.'"-Contemporary Authors

I'd searched Barnes and Noble.com after I wrote Doug today and could only
find first editions of books I & II at much more than the price of Duke's
"whole dang thing".

Thanks again,
Frank
Frank Parker