Just to second Mairead's suggestion. While you may be excluded from
competitions etc by self-publishing, not being published at all hardly
improves one's chances. Maybe the snootier mags don't review self-published
work, but that's their loss. I can think of plenty of mags that wouldn't
have a problem.

Also, starting a small press doesn't preclude the work being published later
by a larger press which might not otherwise have had the opportunity to make
contact with the stuff. Though I have found that even publishing something
in an edition of 50 deprives it of savour to certain mag editors who only
want "new" stuff. (I find it hard not to see this as a kind of consumerism,
avarice even, but there you are)

One thing though, I'd recommend the desktop route rather than the print
shop, for starters anyway. Why have 200 copies making your wardrobe creak,
esp. with sections of a long work that might go through all sorts of changes
and thus have quite a short half life.

One is also in a position to lend a hand with the vast amount of excellent
poetry out there that's not being published either.

If anyone's interested in starting a press and doesn't want to use staples
or spiral binding, I've written a small pamphlet which explains how to sew a
booklet. Lotsa pictures.

best

Randolph Healy

PS my spellchecker wants to change Mairead to airhead. I'm getting rid of it
forthwith.
PPS Mairead, if you do start a press any chance of working BeeGee into the
title (Byrne/Gudding)? The Heeby BeeGees maybe?