'Hear, hear', as they say across the tables: here.

If I remember right the original print of 'Paradise Lost' was 1000 copies
two-thirds of which were 'pulped'. I always like to imagine William Blake
applying for funding from an Arts Marketing Board. To add a widener, the '
audience-oriented model
of art' is also affecting the circulation of literature via the libraries,
where Simon Armitage or Barbara Cartland are abundant in their charms but
insignificant flat-earthers like Arno Schmidt or Heiner Muller increasingly
invisible.

Dana Gioia's essay mentioned by Chris Hayden contains the unintentionally
amusing statement that it has never been easier to earn a living as a poet,
which may be true of the context of suburbanite tenured pseudo-poets he is
discussing and of the circus but newly generated over here but which one has
to regard with astonishment in the wider world. I think he ought to have a
conversation with someone like Alison one day, a very serious conversation.

 As I speak the BBC is broadcasting a programme airing the work and views of
Roger McGough and Wendy Cope.
The cutting edge of British culture.

david