As one who grew too old to write I know too well how the necessity to earn
prevents young writers (and some of the not-so-young) devoting the great effort
it takes to produce excellent work to the task.  Getting grants, contracts, and
explaining oneself seems such a waste.  This is the only real reason for support of the arts
by governments.  ( And something more than the educational experiment that
one official wanted to have proof of success before allowing the project! as one of
my organizations was told).

[log in to unmask] wrote:
Peter wrote:

But, Alison, doesn't your tendency reinforce the popular impression that
poetry isn't worth anything? I suspect that one of the reasons people
expect poems to be cheap or free is that poets are inclined to provide
them cheaply or freely.

I knew someone would say that...

I don't feel I've expressed myself terribly well on all this, no doubt
because it's a dilemma I'm living. I've been thinking a lot about money
lately, as a result of not having any or enough. It is impossible for me
to separate these contemplations from poetry, despite my best intentions,
since one leads to the other. My friends who are not artists have
houses, cars, jobs, some modicum of security... I just have a lot of
books (and children and cats). When I am sensible of the privilege of
being able to "follow my bliss", I feel fine about this; but as we all
know, writing is a capricious exercise, and in my weaker moments it is
difficult to focus on that. I try not to whinge, honest.

But you could say perhaps that the assertion of _freedom_ implied in my
impulses to give poems away, rather than sell them, is a case of perverse
and no doubt impotent pride: an ass! ertion of other ways of valuing. If
others value a gesture like that differently, it's their problem, not
mine. I can't say it's a conscious impulse, it's much messier than that.
I don't feel the same way about other forms of writing.

Best

Alison