A cites:

> He says that "belief in the causal nexus is superstition", which you
> might take note of.  He also criticises the "modern" tendency to treat
> "the laws of nature" as inviolable explanations, as God and Fate were
> treated by earlier peoples, and says "the wisdom of the ancients is
> clearer, insofar as they have a clear and acknowledged terminus, while
> the modern system tries to make it look as everything were explained."

I like the smell of this. I read the Tractatus long ago (someone bought me a
copy for my birthday, for which I've never forgiven them) but neither know
where it is right now (possibly pretending to be a tree falling in a forest,
or a squiggle) nor, unlike our punctillious fellow-listee, took notes, and
like much that I have read that is NOT poetry, I can't quite remember a lot
of it, (what a primitive compelling argument for poetry the mnemnomic is,
almost a defensible), other than an impression of voice talking on the
sands, alone, as the rollers mounted, but the notion of causal nexus as
'superstition', isn't that beautiful, and liberating. But better still the
thought of the ancient, acknowledged terminus, against the modern
superiority that arrogates to itself explanation. There's a kind of voice, a
dry, scouring tone, that I keep on meeting in the custodial accounts of our
culture, works, wisdom, verse, that is so damned _knowing_  so secure in its
sense of superiority. I recall reading a work by an Oxbridge philosophe who
casually but smugly announced that 'by the end of the first decade of the
next century it is quite probable we shall have arrived at an explanation
for everything'.  Now apart from the unlikelihood of this there was a
certain point that His Smugness left begging: that We Might Not Like The
Explanation.
Nor be able to live by it. Which does matter.
Just as poetry may not be able to live in walls of explanation, that assume
a superiority to their subject. Which subject is living, and vulnerable as
the next corner, and finds no solace at extinction round the bend, being
inclined rather to, for another minute, still go on talking...

david b