Where are you getting all this stuff from, Daniel? I mean, who are you
reading--linguists, philosophers of language, philosophers of mind,
historians of language, logicians (modal or otherwise), speech-act
theorists? Your second sentence would seem to be gesturing toward J. L.
Austin's performative/constative distinction, while missing the point of
Christopher's remark about _langue_ vs. _parole_. And, as I indicated in a
post yesterday, your statements on grammar seem to be confusing the sort of
hard- vs. soft-wiring theories of transformational grammar, say, where an
effort is being made to investigate something inherent to human mentation
and therefore universal, with grammar-on-the-ground, i.e., as the product of
its own historical use/useage within a given language or language group.
Every language has a founding grammar, certainly, but no living language has
a foundational one in the sense of set in stone, which seems to be your
sense. (Gender, as a function of _this_ sort of functional grammar, is one
of the most unstable grammatical operations, in fact.) If Old English
grammar were "foundational" in your sense, the language could never have
evolved into Middle or Modern English.

Candice