David

I understood the inverted commas as distancing *you* from the phrase
'Anglo-Welsh' but felt they implied you were attributing it to contemporary
Welsh poets and thus suggesting a complicity in their own colonization.
Whereas it is precisely this generation of Welsh writers, not your praised
generation of the Thomases, Saunders Lewis etc, who have rejected it. 'Welsh
writing in English' is hardly a handy label, but by no means bad English,
and it seems it will have to do.

I nearly left sport out when attempting a characterization of the Welsh. The
fact is that it is important to them (and to me, and a great many other
people, as a matter of fact). I don't see why it should be denigrated. Rugby
is both a symbol of Welsh national identity and a link with the industrial
past - it is a working-class game here, and has traditionally served to
strengthen social bonds among work colleagues.

As for the Welsh sense of humour, it's difficult to explain. We English have
long complimented ourselves on ours (I'm not sure anyone else shares our
high opinion of it), but we reserve most of it for close friends and
suitable occasions. The Welsh, on the other hand, seem to find everyone and
everything funny, themselves most of all, and it's difficult to have a
conversation with anyone, friend or stranger, without ending up laughing.
This is a huge change after living in the South of England all one's life.

Welsh still is a language - I hear it spoken practically every day,
something which cannot have been the case in Anglicized South Wales for at
least fifty years or so. And there are plenty of poems and novels being
written in it. (Gwyneth Lewis writes in both languages.) It seems to me
you're romanticizing Wales's past at the expense of the reality of its
present. Anyone can point to the great dead and ask  where are their
equivalents now? It's an old, tired rhetorical device. They've sealed their
reputations by dying, whereas the mediocrities of those days have been
forgotten. Contemporary Welsh writers are as intensely involved in the
political
and cultural issue of Welshness as any of their predecessors have been.
They are not wannabe English or American, nor are they caricature Welsh.
The country deserves better than the easy dismissals it has so often had
from
the English.

Best wishes

Matthew