Now you musn't shut up, Lawrence, it would be the kind of absence that would
make me nervous, and unconfident of my furniture, or the awkwardness of
things.

> I was last there about 18 months ago, wandering around Pembroke and
> hinterland and got a *very strong sense of its difference... give it time

That's good, Pembroke being traditionally so Anglicized. But I was thinking
of a) the utter of unotherness of industrial South Wales these days, that is
it has a popular culture that is largely just as much sub-American as
England's and b) literary Wales has lost its identity, there are a lot of
'Anglo-Welsh' poets aren't there who write flat mainstreamy kind of stuff
(Peter Finch might not like that statement but he's just one guy) but even
more so Welsh literary culture now may be one of the least distinct in
Europe: the Thomases are dead, Saunders Lewis and the London-Welsh David
Jones too. I gather there's some kind of kick still in the North, but no
really strong voice. Wales 'reads' to me like a culture that has truly
collapsed under a colonial weight.
One only has to look to Scotland for contrast.

N.B. I'd LOVE to be proved wrong on this, I really would.

david b