on 7/1/01 8:36 AM, [log in to unmask] at [log in to unmask]
wrote:

> And don't you live in Sinney, Jill?
>
> Candice

Depending on who you're talking too, yep, sure do. (And according to some we
live in Siddiney (thank you Juan Antonio Samaranch)). But some of us hang on
to the 'd' - even if we don't voice it as strongly as others might - just as
we're trying to keep 'li' in Australia.

I guess the point is native speakers hear their own speech differently from
others. I do hear a Canadian 'aboot' (which isn't actually 'oo' but that's
as close as I can transliterate it, being unskilled in such areas) and the
NZ 'i' in words such as 'six' has variations but hovers between sex, serx
and sux, again depending on who it is. Some New Zealanders have almost what
we'd call a British accent and there's little trace of that kind of vowel
sound.

So that's why I was wondering how others hear (some?) Australians say
certain sounds - given there will always be regional and generational
variations. The Australian accent has changed a lot over the last century -
you only have to listen to old radio broadcasts or films from then 1930s to
hear that. Can I assume that's so elsewhere?

I know some of this discussion seems like post-New Year trivia but I wasn't
just trying to take the piss - sound, voice, etc are all of concern to me.

And it's rainin' in Sinney, sport, no wuckin' furries about that, eh.

Chiz,
Jill

Jill Jones
50 Ruby Street