> i recall listening to John at the melbourne writer's festival, & he
> expressed amazement at poets who confessed that they didn't read other
> poets. this he stated after referring to Gig Ryan's comment that John uses
> his influences as an 'amulet'. this paragraph seems an extension of those
> concerns.
>
> what's that o'hara poem where he says 'i read because i'm a writer'?
>
> reason enough for me.
>
> regards
>
> will

If I can slip on an editorial hat here, it seems from the contents of my
mailbox that almost none of my would-be first-time contributors have ever
read another poem in their lives, or at least not since they finished
A-level English. Depressing.

I can also think of some well-published and long-standing poets who also
haven't read anything by anyone of a younger generation, but I'll leave
their names unsaid...

Tony