I don't think of evil as a purely intentional category, and I do think of it
as bound up with stupidity which can turn even good will to unfortunate ends
(as when one sneer's at one's political opponents as "well-intentioned").
People are seldom any less corrupt and wicked for wanting to be good, and
are often very much the worse for wanting to think of themselves as good
while they go about their habitual corruption and wickedness - the fairly
widespread human habit of coming up with clever rationales for callous and
idiotic behaviour. Here stupidity is augmented and abetted by a certain
quickwittedness; but it's no less stupid for that.

Perhaps the underlying category is "error". Neither evil nor stupidity can
abide a commitment to truth (which is not the same as a claim to know
truth). I have a gut-feeling that almost nothing I have heard so far, from
anyone, about Afghanistan is adequately truthful: the realities that would
speak for themselves (civilian death figures, for instance) are persistently
occluded and will probably take a long time to emerge in full. Absent the
proper materials of debate, there is no debate. All opinions stink.