on 12/20/01 7:07 PM, Lawrence Upton at [log in to unmask]
wrote:

> Having been accused of sentimentality when I objected to the belittling of
> the importance of Afghan deaths, recently I suggested that a specifically US
> problem is sometimes sentimentality - Listening to an item about the first
> tourists back to the statue of liberty, I heard a NYC official say _It
> brings tears to my eyes when I look at it_ Now that, quoting P J O'Rourke,
> is really alien to me

You ought to see how wet people get when they visit the WTC site, Lawrence.
You wouldn't believe the tears--and for something that isn't even there! I
don't doubt you'd find it really alien.

Merry Christmas on behalf of my countrypeople,

Candice