----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey Jullich" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 19 December 2001 18:25
Subject: Re: (no subject) EVIL

Perhaps it might be better to say that English is *more of a composite
language than many others; but that's something else.

Your observations are useful, Jeffrey; thank you. I hesitate, however, to
assume that everyone shares your definition; so I believe it is still
necessary for anyone using the word "evil" to say what is meant.

One could could worry like that about any word, and we should quickly run
out of time...
But defining something as "evil" is usually a prelude to something else or
to justifying that something else; and so it is worth taking a little time
to understand vague and ambiguous language

If

| Evil is to will someone else harm

then evil may be as widespread as the vatican and other believers in satan
suspect.

I often find myself willing others harm. It doesn't last long, but I feel
it.

If evil is to wish others harm, then all those engaged in the military
destruction of
the taliban are evil