Lawrence Upton wrote:

> [...]

I'm glad to hear from you again, for there's something I've wanted to
ask you.  It's about this business about everybody's life being equally
important - not just in the eyes of God, or Universal Values, but yours
or mine.  If a friend or family member or even a neighbor of yours were
brutally killed, don't you think you might be slightly more perturbed by
this than by the death of a statistic somewhere?

I agree, by the way, that the US - largely by inattention after '89 -
helped to "put the Taliban there."  But now they're gone, and with very
little - here it comes - collateral damage.  All that weepy rhetoric on
this list about bombs bombs bombs dropped by us "nutters" - but the
truth is that most of them fell precisely where they should have.
There's music in Kabul now; and who knows, kids may someday have a
chance to fuck and disco and eat wonderful junk food.  A net gain.  OK,
I've walked right into it - now you have a chance to portray Al-Qaeda as
victims and indulge in yet more transcendent moralism.