Erminia Passannanti wrote:

> if the belly assumes the egg-shape shown in the photo resembling
> a woman's  pregnancy, since it could be not only the sign of an "ascite"

I had near-fatal hepatitis around '84 (the doctor afterwards told me that I had
been "dying"): went into coma, bleeding from nose and mouth, gangrene so
intense that my fingernails and cuticles, which remained white, looked like
mother-of-pearl.  And there were 40 lb. of fluid trapped in my abdomen: acites,
as Erminia says.

It's a very late-stage progression in severe illness and difficult to reverse.
The doctors tried emetics on me, they were so desperate they removed the ~salt~
from all my hospital food.  Nothing was working.

Suddenly, it began to break and I began passing {blush} fluid at 7 to 9 lb. a
day.  The doctor had the scales dragged in every morning, and said: "If the
scales can be believed!"

A little nurse from the Caribbean danced at the foot of my bed, waving her
hands in the air: "Don't you understand!?  When you came in here . . .  And now
. . . !  It's  a MIRACLE."