Thanks, Jill--Very glad to hear what you made of the article and hope others
elsewhere in Australia post responses as well. And, not to worry--I never
take anything as gospel (including the Gospels). On the other hand, I was
struck during my 1999 visit by the intercity rivalry among the poets I met,
first in Hobart (where Sydney was grudgingly acknowledged as on the map,
while Melbourne was trashed), then in Melbourne (where Sydney was spoken of
as everything that was wrong with OZ poetry, while Hobart was dismissed as
an inbreeding ground--"Did you notice how everyone there even looks alike?"
a Melbourne poet asked me, to my astonishment!)--Candice