Not so puzzling, Fran, given the well-entrenched retro-feminist "female
voice" strain in this country anyway--and of which we should be wary, as
Alison points out, particularly in terms of assimilating any and all poetry
by women imaged on childbirth or associated gender-specific biological
functions, the romanticization of which via "the female voice" is if
anything antifeminist (IMHO).

As for what I said about Page's "enviable position in Canadian poetry," I
was being ironic about the covert issue in this thread of poetry's (and
various poets') relative national positions--and positionings--in the
context of this UN/Mt. Everest event, which of course is what's drawn so
much attention to Page's poem. Her own Canadian-poetic status I gleaned from
what had been said about her by Ram and Doug Barbour (the latter a very
reliable source for such evaluations, in my experience). Your different take
is interesting, though, and well worth having--not least because you can
speak to an intersection of national poetic politics as a Canadian poet now
living and writing in Australia. I think the way the UN "Dialogue" event is
being publicized (spin-doctored?) relative to English-language poetry as a
globalized or at least international phenomenon can't help but intensify
national poetic politics in an already fraught atmosphere of too many
competitors for scarce resources, including the symbolic capital of success,
reputation, "profile" (as it's come to be called).

JK's very interesting Sydney Morning Herald piece of Jan. 27th speaks very
much to this atmosphere in Australian poetic politics these days (as his
title alone--"Poets Cornered"--indicates), where he offers the following
"psychology test": "if you've been scouring this article looking for names
then you're an Australian poet; if you've been reading for any other
purpose, you're not. Australian poetry, as with many or most national
poetries, is about names"
(http://www.smh.com.au/news/0101/27/text/spectrum6.html).

That's true here, too, and is never more evident than when goodies such as
the UN event seem to offer a good career move, just as famine relief did for
some ambitious rock stars of the 1980s--which is not to denigrate or deride
the poets who are giving their time and their names (precisely) to this
enhanced profiling of poetry or to foregrounding the issue of world peace,
whichever way they see it. But however irreproachable their motives may be,
the fact is that many of the poets in this group don't need to do it for
careerist reasons, while many who have seemed to be scrambling (on this list
at least) for a piece of the "Dialogue" action probably do see it as a good
career move. And many (on this list and elsewhere) will see nothing wrong
with that either.

Candice