Here's a piece of morose rambling:

I've just been entertaining myself with a letter from a group who focus on
all things Anglo-Saxon, what struck me were the accounts of the development
of Common Law. The key point, it seems, was not just old Alfred, or Ine
before him, but the code promulgated by Aethelstan in the 10th century, for
the first time burhs were recognised legally. His laws were exceptionally
severe, however, they did concede that under-15's were exempt from hanging,
you just have to see this stuff and pinch yourself. Thereafter, with Cnut
and others, markets were legally 'seen' too as a means to stamp out
cattle-rustling and increasing royal revenue, while, and this is immortal, I
quote, ' Later Period laws cover residential rights and duties,
posse-forming for catching law breakers and runaway slaves, including
punishment that was severe but did not reduce their economic value.'. End
quote.

Sounds like somewhere else somehow.

From such we are descended.

Best