Heavens. Here was poor dumb me imagining that surrealism, as a literary art,
was an invention of Lewis Carroll (altho' with many ghostly precursors) and
then transcribed and extended by The Goons and finally almost perfected by
Monty Python while its very imperfect 'theoretical' version had been
propagated by the fourth-rate Parisian literary dictator Andre Breton.

I could sneak to thoughts about Dostoyevskian roots tho'.

But I always thought that Reverdy was neither a cube nor surreal but an
erotic poet with metaphysical longings (I know the feeling) but of a rather
slowly heavy breathing kind, impressive in a way but not to my heart.

As, however, I know nothing about who John Ashbery IV talked to nor when I
should keep my mouth shut.

Best

Dave

David Bircumshaw