> The 'he' not being Robin, Robin.
>
> (Loose pronouns waggle louche tails in alleys of smalltalk)
>
> Best
>
> Dave

Ah, when it comes to screwing pronouns, let's not even even start on
Cunewulf and Cuneheard ...

R.

  FROM THE CHRONICLE, AD 755

In this year Cynewulf    and the councillors of the West Saxons
Deprived Sigebright of his kingdom,    all except Hampshire,
On account of his atrocious deeds.    And this he held
Until he killed the earl    who had longest been loyal to him.

Then Cynwulf drove him into the forest of Kent    and there he lived
Until he was killed on the banks of the Privett
    by a swineherd
Who was avenging the death of the earl Cumbra.

When Cynewulf had ruled the land for thirty-one years
He wished to drive out the atheling Cyneheard,
     brother of Sigebryght:
But Cyneheard heard that the king,    with only a small company,
Had gone to visit his mistress at Merton;
And there he overtook him,    and surrounded the chamber
Before the king and his men    were aware of him.

When the king knew of this,    he went to the door
And bravely defended himself    until he saw the atheling;
Then he rushed out at him    and wounded him deeply:
All the rest fell on the king    and fought till they had killed him.

Then the woman's cries were heard    and the king's men rushed to the
struggle:
Whoever was first armed    ran first to the chamber.
The atheling offered each    fee and mercy
But none would take it.    They fought on
Till all lay dead,    except for one Welsh hostage
And he was gravely wounded.

When morning came,    the men whom the king had left
Heard of the killing,    and rode there at once:
Osric the ealdorman    and Wilfred the king's thegn
And all the men    the king had left behind him.

They came on the atheling    at the place where the king lay dead:
They gates were shut up    when they arrived there.

The atheling offered them    fee and lands
At their own discretion    if they would give him the kingdom;
And he also said    that kinsmen of theirs
Were there with him,    "And they will not desert me."

But they replied no kinsman was dearer to them    than their own lord
And that they would never    follow his killer;
And they offered their kinsmen    freedom to leave unharmed.

The atheling's men    said the same offer was made
To those who were with the king:    "And we will accept it no more
Than your comrades did    who died with the king."

They fought round the gate    till they were driven back,
The atheling killed    and all who were with him,
Except one man,    Osric's godson,
Whose life was spared    though he had many wounds.

Cynewulf had reigned for thirty-one years when he was killed:
His body lies at Winchester    and Cyneheard's at Axminster,
And both were descended    from the high king Cedric.