Kind remarks Erminia thanks - and I enjoyed your celebration of your own accent.  I work with kids in Stoke on Trent, where there is a very distinct 'Potteries' accent - and I try to encourage them to have exactly the attitude you describe to their own accent (which is as disparaged as Brummie in the culture at large - the accent of comedy mainly)

there are so many ways of being displaced - an emigrant which implies by choice, or an exile.  Accent is one of the marks of belonging and loss I think.

Liz

PS: thanks so much for helping me get back on the list Erminia - you can see I enjoy it!