Yes, Liz, I meant that, though English (and from the South, North ~ not East
~
Cheam actually), I just hear people's voices as expressions of themselves
(within the parameter of given accent of course.) After a long time of
teaching English in Frankfurt my own voice has lost most of the
characteristics (near-London quasi-cockney) it used to have, to the extent
that two rather affected  English ladies whom I met on holiday in Cornwall
in the 80s were sure that I was American, because my sound didn't fit in
with their preconceptions (I certainly do not sound American). I do not have
a class-connotation-laden reaction to accent. I might even no longer
recognize a person's "class" in Britain if I went there, things have changed
so much. Of course, my cousin Jennifer has an upper-class sort of drawl she
picked up at girls' high school (in the 50s), but I believe this "toff"
voice is fairly rare now (& anyone can imitate it.) I don't think it's
essential to reading poems for oneself that the accent of the poet is
reproduced, though in the case of Scots, where the orthography suggests it,
I try to reproduce that sound in a generic way; I'm probably missing a lot
by just very seldom hearing UK voices at all nowadays. One thing
distinguishes me from you: I don't have a "homecoming" feeling when I hear
people from the South, perhaps because that accent seems to have changed so
much. It's that estuary <ostranenie> effect, as far as I'm concerned.
cheers
Martin