Ram & others,
What was she thinking? Hacker, I mean...she picked the poem.
Really bad on several counts: The laudress caressing
the muslins is romanticism run amok. The second stanza
is unforgivably blind to the way human civilization has worked
over the natural world. "The trees must be washed..." &
oceans pressed in neatness"--passages like those could
roll Robinson Jeffers over in his grave. Then PK Page doesn't
forget to work in some angelic imagery: a little easy ecstatic
ersatz spiritual speech for good measure...I'm not certain I would
have those Archangels "polishing the rods" of rain, either.
Sounds somewhat masturbatory? And at the very end
the image changes abruptly to the act of painting? Which is
completely out of sync with the poem's prevailing imagery.
One can only hope this poem vanishes quickly into the
thin air at the top of the world.
Finnegan