Rob:

> Wasn't part of the split between James and Paul over this issue?  Paul,
> wanting to proselytise the gentiles, arguing for a relaxation of the
> stricter parts of The Law?

Yup, the Acts of The Apostles gives an account of Paul's visit to the
Jerusalem Elders, to James and Peter, about this very matter.

> Hellenism was coming in early -- it's pre-NT (Philo of Alexandria, e.g. --
> even,  bloody hell, the Septuagint translation in the same town earlier).
> John is only the most +obviously+ Hellenic (nay, Platonic) of the Gospels.
> The historic Jesus spoke Western Aramaic (that Petrus pun) but the NT as
we
> have it written is in Greek.

Yup, again, the NT is in +koine+ and too the Ephesian Gospel narrative is
touched by the Logos, a most un-Rabbinical concept, but I'd be wary of
extending the Hellenic patina of the Jews of the Diaspora to the ethics,
ritual and works above faith-minded Nazarene sect. It's very telling that
Thomas is so often known by a Greek name: Didymus. It's quite clear that the
proto-Church did not fundamentally see itself outside of the People of the
Book, despite an occasional converting centurion. Paul's mission to the
Gentiles was tolerated, but without it seems any great enthusiasm. I think
such an outlook would be alien to the exoticism of the Gnostics.

Best

Dave

David Bircumshaw

Leicester, England