Dear Mark

I regret that you see yourself as a hunted rodent when all I have done is
invite you to elaborate upon your own words' meaning.

You anticipate my conclusions and you get it wrong; the conclusions you
attribute to me are NOT my conclusions.

I find no comfort in anything much at the moment, in what has happened, in
what is happening and what may well happen. Just now some slightly jolly
voices are saying maybe there won't be war when people are already dying
because of frightening utterances. But no one mentions that; and the opinion
seems to be that sending aid will somehow make it all right. Bring back
indulgences!

As to a moral claim to life... I don't know what you are talking about.
Those are your words.

I am questioning the relevance of _innocence_ and _relative innocence_. I am
also questioning the *use of those terms. I am trying to discuss such issues
with anyone who will discuss them in an endeavour to learn more about my
thoughts, others' thoughts and what needs to be done. There's a lot of
muddled thinking around and I am not free of it

It seems to me self-evident that some are more or less complicit in all
goods and bads - if you'll accept such a sloppy term. If they are not, I do
not know what we are to do with any concept of taking people to justice. If
it's true that we are all complicit to an equal extent, ok. I wouldn't want
to stand in the way of updating our ethics; but be sure where that leads us.
We're all guilty, person - you, me, Bin Laden, Bush, the aid worker. I was
only doing my duty.

If, for whatever reason, you will not respond to me, there's nothing I can
do and nothing that I shall do. However, I protest at your offensive
response on the basis of defensive misreadings of my intentions

All the very best

Lawrence