----- Original Message -----
From: "Frederick Pollack" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 26 September 2001 02:59
Subject: Re: Letter to a leftist friend

| > Do you include in that category "innocent American citizens" those who
| > worked in the Pentagon. If so, why? If not, why not?
| >
| Yes.  If one assumes that everyone who works in the Pentagon, including
| janitors, clerks, quartermasters etc., is guilty of neocolonialism and
| imperialism, one is following the same standard whereby already starving
| (and perhaps apolitical) Afghans may soon be "acceptable collateral
| damage."  One accedes also to the idea, with which GWB agrees, that this
| attack was an act of war.

With respect, you haven't actually answered my subsidiary but essential
question. Rather you have answered either what you - I imagine - think that
my next question might be or what stands as an opinion behind my subsidiary
question...

I know now that you regard the citizens in the Pentagon as innocent, but not
why. You have offered a refutation of one possible refutation of your
position; but I didn't make any such refutation. How could I without knowing
the basis of your position? This intransitive innocence is such an odd
concept

I was also disturbed by the "*American" citizens, because *USAmericans were
far from being the only people to die and I have always assumed, without
thinking about it, that death is much the same for all races.

I haven't used the word "neocolonialism" and "imperialism" since and for a
long time before the recent attacks on USA and I can't remember when I did
use them.

Not only do I not know what makes the workers in the Pentagon innocent, I
also have no idea what makes a person not innocent (in the same intransitive
sense, I mean)

All the best

Lawrence