I've been trying to keep mostly out of this, but this article from the New
York Times today seems too pertinent not to be passed on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/25/national/25INQU.html?todaysheadlines

What it would seem to come down to (and I'm only reporting my understanding
of the article, not endorsing it or its reliability) is that US intelligence
knows the names (and presumably, from backtracking, some of the activities)
of the nineteen men on the airliners, but nothing certain beyond this.

(And if the Saudis are to be believed, the names of at least seven of the
nineteen were "stolen".)

This would seem to run counter to some of the certainties being aired.

The article begins:

U.S. Is Chasing German Leads on Terror Trail
By LOWELL BERGMAN and DON VAN NATTA Jr.

WASHINGTON, Sept. 24 - Two weeks after the terrorist attacks in New York and
on the Pentagon, investigators have not yet identified any knowing
accomplices in the United States or uncovered a broad support network that
assisted the 19 hijackers, a senior law enforcement official said today ...

Robin Hamilton