Wystan, my thoughts are with you.

Several weeks ago I had the pleasure, with John O'Connor of Sudden Valley
Press, to meet Allen and his wife at Christchurch International Airport, and
to escort them to their hotel prior to a public reading as part of the
Christchurch Arts Festival.

Allen was gracious, and active if frail; he talked of his reluctance to
release new work, of how he liked to keep it at home until he was certain
(or as certain as any fallible man could be) of its worth. I commented that
too many of his younger colleagues here turn out work as if it was just this
week's product. Allen twinkled, and responded to the effect that poetry had
an obligation not just to the reader but also to God. There was nothing
portentous in this; he spoke with a faith that was as strong as it was
quiet.

The epigraph of my latest collection comes from Allen:

Twenty years. A child returned
Discerns in quicksand his own footprint
Brimming and fading, vanishing.

And in a recent interview, due to be published next month in Glottis, I
reaffirm my (hardly original) belief that he is 'exceptional in every
sense'.

David Howard
www.relevents.org