Well, you've preempted me here, Douglas--and I hope you'll feel more
inclined to subscribe to LEVIATHAN once it's actually in print! The first
issue is due out this month, so I was waiting to announce it myself upon its
debut. I don't believe JK has cut his ties with STAND, as Michael has done,
and I don't know what you mean by "supporting editors." I'm a contributing
editor, so far as I know, and had understood JK to be an associate editor,
but I haven't seen the flyer yet myself. (More anon when the first issue
appears.)

As for what you say in your second paragraph here, Douglas, I'd appreciate
it if you and others who have been less than sensitive in your posts over
the last 24 hours please stop and think before you send what might be under
ordinary circumstances merely aggressive opinionating, but which at the
moment are potentially hateful and hurtful pronouncements. Feelings are
understandably running hot and high, and we've had a few demands
back-channel to gag and/or remove one or another listee whose views have
been received as repugnant. I would much prefer to see the list police
itself--by which I mean everybody's exercising self-restraint rather than
yielding to vigilantism and pressuring Alison, Randolph, and myself to apply
list rules arbitrarily. These are the times that test principles such as
tolerance of others and their rights, however wrong they may seem, so let's
all rise to that challenge as best we can.

Okay, off with her soapbox and on with whatever sufficiency of evil the day
may hold. Would all listees in the New York and Washington areas post an
"I'm okay" message to Poetryetc, please? If you can also brief us on
conditions where you are, all the better--but do let us know that you're
still with us in any case.

Thanks,

Candice