on 10/9/01 9:20 PM, Candice Ward at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> It would work better for me without the first line or any use of the word
> "pain"--still aptly describing a headache but resonating with many other,
> unstated states (as it seems to want to do), especially if the referent of
> "its/it's" remains mysterious--Candice
>
> P.S. Hang me for a sheep, but the formal quatrains don't seem right for this
> poem either!

Candice, interesting you say this. There was some small thing bothering me,
that kept me from getting right into the poem and I think you may have
nailed it. Perhaps 'the truest thing' could become part of a title. Also
agree with you about the quatrains not being 'right'. I liked the original
chunky version, it had a rush that had all that excess and overwhelmingness
that is pain. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Jill

Jill Jones