on 2/9/01 10:18 AM, Alison Croggon at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Don't know how you could call it xenophobia, Jill -
> didn't Mr Howard say we're leading the world in
> producing litres of the milk of human kindness?

Litres? I thought the whole Indian Ocean (or at least our side of it) was
awash with it.

> Maybe it's because of the strong public support for
> Howard's"stand".

I thought this too. And assumed it's what will win him the election as well
as deflecting attention from the Qld Liberal Party GST scam. But I wonder,
or perhaps I'm being merely hopeful, that more people than we think are
disturbed and disgusted. I base this on little more than the amount of
correspondence (letters, email) I have seen in the media - more anti than
pro Howard's stance - and some conversations with self-proclaimed 'red neck'
friends in Queensland. OK, so I'm probably wrong.

> Good to see that that wealthy nation Nauru is helping
> us out in our difficulties.

And that mighty power of the Pacific, New Zealand, as well.

best,
Jill

Jill Jones
50 Ruby Street