Alison Croggon wrote:

> An aside -
>
> Douglas - I must tell you that earlier this year I met
> a renegade vet who told me that commercial cat and dog
> food is basically poisonous to the animals. Apparently
> it is so bad it disrupts their natural inner ecology
> and leads to all sorts of illnesses, from which of
> course the vetinary industry benefits.  One of the
> first signs is skin ailments.  This vet was waging a
> huge war against the pet food corporations and had
> been much discredited because of it.
>
> He said the best thing to feed your cat is fresh meat
> on the bone and vegetable scraps.
>
> After talking to him, we changed our animals' diets.
> And the difference has been remarkable - they all
> instantly put on condition and weight and are much
> happier.  And it's much cheaper.  And when I thought
> about, I wouldn't eat that stuff either - why should
> we force it on the poor beasts?  I think your kitten
> has absolutely the right idea!
>
> Best
>
> Alison

I agree. Ria gets fed mostly vegetarian table scraps with
the occasional fresh meat when with her owner, when staying
here she eats at Josie's gourmet cafe. Very healthy dog -
strangers approach and say -'what a good looking dog!"

The other day an avocado went missing from the grocery bags
before they were unpacked. She had nicked it. Daughter
laughed and explained Ria had aquired a taste for them when
they had an avo tree in the back yard. Added bonus - there's
a little BALL inside!

But she still loves shmacko's

josie